How mom set on fire by boyfriend testified at own murder trial from beyond the grave

Judy Malinowski was killed by her ex-boyfriend Michael Slager after he doused her in petrol and set her alight

Judy Malinowski set alight by her ex after the pair had an argument (Judy's Foundation)

Judy Malinowski set alight by her ex after the pair had an argument (Judy’s Foundation)

Speaking to PEOPLE in 2023, her mom Bonnie said: “Judy said, ‘Mom, not even an ant should be set on fire. I got a life sentence and he didn’t.”

This required an astonishing sacrifice on Judy’s part – to be considered legally of sound mind to testify, she had to wean herself off the medication that was helping to numb her pain.

Once Judy, who’d previously endured an ovarian cancer diagnosis and an opiate addiction following her hysterectomy, was deemed legally able to do so, she recorded a three-hour-long video testimony offering the full details and impact of the attack she was subjected to.

In the video, which was shown in a courtroom in Franklin County, she said that after she’d thrown a drink at him during a fight, he ‘ran around to the other side of his truck, and he got these cans of gasoline that he kept in the back of his truck … he ran around me and started pouring gasoline, started at my head and worked his way down.

“Some got in my throat as he did that. That burnt really bad.”

Michael Slager would eventually be handed a life sentence for Judy's death (Gahanna Police Department)

Michael Slager would eventually be handed a life sentence for Judy’s death (Gahanna Police Department)

In her testimony, Judy said that as Slager, whom she’d first met on social media, carried out his attack, ‘the look on his face was pure evil’.

“I just remember crying and begging for help, and he lit me on fire. And the look in his eyes … his eyes went black, literally,” she said. “After I was set on fire, and he backed away, his eyes just turned black as I screamed for his help. And he did nothing.”

Although she had held on for two years, Judy would succumb to her injuries and die in June 2017, aged just 33, less than five months after she’d given her testimony.

Following her death, Slager was charged with her murder, which he pleaded guilty to, and Judy’s video testimony from beyond the grave was instrumental in securing his conviction and life sentence without possibility of parole.

But despite their loss, Judy’s family were not done yet, and they campaigned to enact Judy’s Law, which would introduce specific penalties in cases of arson which have deliberately left someone severely injured or disfigured.

“She hung on and fought for justice,” her mother said. “She suffered beyond measure to make a change for other women.”

Judy’s story also became the subject of the MTV documentary, The Fire That Took Her, which is available to stream on Paramount+.

If you are experiencing domestic violence, please know that you are not alone. You can talk in confidence 24 hours a day to the national domestic violence helpline on 1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 24/7. You can find a list of local resources here.

How mom set on fire by boyfriend testified at own murder trial from beyond the grave

How mom set on fire by boyfriend testified at own murder trial from beyond the grave

Judy Malinowski was killed by her ex-boyfriend Michael Slager after he doused her in petrol and set her alight

A woman who died after being set on fire by her ex-boyfriend helped to secure his conviction from beyond the grave.

Judy Malinowski died in June 2017, following two agonizing years in hospital after her boyfriend, Michael Slager, doused her in gasoline and set her alight at a petrol station following an argument.

Over the course of those two years, the 31-year-old mom from Ohio needed over 50 surgeries to keep her alive. The horrifying attack that Slager inflicted on August 2, 2015, left more than 90 per cent of Judy’s body covered in burns.

But despite the permanent, life-changing injuries that he inflicted on Judy, initially, Slager was only given a sentence of 11 years after pleading no contest to a charge of aggravated arson and felonious assault.

Upon learning of this outcome, Judy agreed to record a testimony to ensure that Slager was brought to justice.

Judy Malinowski set alight by her ex after the pair had an argument (Judy's Foundation)

Judy Malinowski set alight by her ex after the pair had an argument (Judy’s Foundation)

Speaking to PEOPLE in 2023, her mom Bonnie said: “Judy said, ‘Mom, not even an ant should be set on fire. I got a life sentence and he didn’t.”

This required an astonishing sacrifice on Judy’s part – to be considered legally of sound mind to testify, she had to wean herself off the medication that was helping to numb her pain.

Once Judy, who’d previously endured an ovarian cancer diagnosis and an opiate addiction following her hysterectomy, was deemed legally able to do so, she recorded a three-hour-long video testimony offering the full details and impact of the attack she was subjected to.

In the video, which was shown in a courtroom in Franklin County, she said that after she’d thrown a drink at him during a fight, he ‘ran around to the other side of his truck, and he got these cans of gasoline that he kept in the back of his truck … he ran around me and started pouring gasoline, started at my head and worked his way down.

“Some got in my throat as he did that. That burnt really bad.”

Michael Slager would eventually be handed a life sentence for Judy's death (Gahanna Police Department)

Michael Slager would eventually be handed a life sentence for Judy’s death (Gahanna Police Department)

In her testimony, Judy said that as Slager, whom she’d first met on social media, carried out his attack, ‘the look on his face was pure evil’.

“I just remember crying and begging for help, and he lit me on fire. And the look in his eyes … his eyes went black, literally,” she said. “After I was set on fire, and he backed away, his eyes just turned black as I screamed for his help. And he did nothing.”

Although she had held on for two years, Judy would succumb to her injuries and die in June 2017, aged just 33, less than five months after she’d given her testimony.

Following her death, Slager was charged with her murder, which he pleaded guilty to, and Judy’s video testimony from beyond the grave was instrumental in securing his conviction and life sentence without possibility of parole.

But despite their loss, Judy’s family were not done yet, and they campaigned to enact Judy’s Law, which would introduce specific penalties in cases of arson which have deliberately left someone severely injured or disfigured.

“She hung on and fought for justice,” her mother said. “She suffered beyond measure to make a change for other women.”

Judy’s story also became the subject of the MTV documentary, The Fire That Took Her, which is available to stream on Paramount+.

If you are experiencing domestic violence, please know that you are not alone. You can talk in confidence 24 hours a day to the national domestic violence helpline on 1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 24/7. You can find a list of local resources here.

Victim of plane crash believed to be mom of two as boyfriend describes his last conversation with her

Victim of plane crash believed to be mom of two as boyfriend describes his last conversation with her

Three pilots were killed in the plane crash

The boyfriend of a woman who is missing after a plane crash has opened up about the last time that he saw her.

William Moreland and Donald Henderson have been anxiously awaiting news about Angela Anderson, who is missing after the fatal crash in Louisville, Kentucky, on 4 November.

The two men were interviewed by WDRB News as they waited for her, with Moreland being the father of two of her children, and Henderson her boyfriend.

Angela is one of nine people who are missing following the crash, with three pilots on board the UPS flight being killed in the tragedy.

In a statement, UPS said: “Capt. Richard Wartenberg, First Officer Lee Truitt, and International Relief Officer Capt. Dana Diamond were operating the flight.

“Words can’t express the sorrow we feel over the heartbreaking Flight 2976 accident. … This continues to be an incredibly sad time for our entire UPS family, and as our CEO, Carol Tomé reminded us: ‘United, we are strong.’”

The two men anxiously awaited news of their missing loved one (WDRB News - Official/YouTube)

The two men anxiously awaited news of their missing loved one (WDRB News – Official/YouTube)

A visibly emotional Henderson spoke of the last time they had spoken.

He said that she had wanted to go and take some trash out in the car, and he had not gone with her as he had been too tired after finishing work.

“We got off work today and I had some trash to put in the back of the car, it was 4.30 and she wanted to take it to get rid of it,” he said. “I was like I don’t wanna go, you go ahead, so she took off and I haven’t seen her since.”

Henderson recalled hearing that there had been an ‘incident’ at around five o’ clock.

Asked how he is feeling not knowing where their loved one is, Henderson replied: “It’s terrible, terrible, terrible.”

Henderson went on to say that he still doesn’t know what is happening, and the pair of them are waiting for news.

Henderson said they are still waiting for an update (WDRB News - Official/YouTube)

Henderson said they are still waiting for an update (WDRB News – Official/YouTube)

“She’s all I got, so I don’t know. I don’t know how this is going to turn out,” he said, adding: “She’s young, she’s like 45 years old.”

Moreland, who has two children with Anderson, added: “I hope she’s all right.”

Loved ones of nine missing people have been met by staff at a reunification center.

Henderson recalled meeting people at a victim reunification center, which had been set up to help locate loved ones of those involved.

“Nice people,” said Henderson. “They took our information and they’re gonna give us the news as it comes in.”

Featured Image Credit: YouTube/WDRBNewsOfficialMom of soldier, 19, who took her own life after horrific assault speaks out amid sergeant sentencing

Mom of soldier, 19, who took her own life after horrific assault speaks out amid sergeant sentencing

Battery Sergeant Major Michael Webber previously admitted to sexual assault

A man who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 19-year-old soldier has been sentenced, with the teenager’s mother addressing the court beforehand.

Last month, Battery Sergeant Major Michael Webber admitted to sexually assaulting Jaysley Beck in July 2021. During the incident, Webber engaged Gunner Beck in a drinking game called Last Man Standing before touching her thigh and trying to kiss her.

The ordeal was not reported to the police, but Beck did raise a complaint with her superiors the following day.

Tragically, a few months after the assault, the teenager took her own life.

Now Webber, who has since left the army, has been sentenced, and Beck’s father, Anthony Beck, addressed the court beforehand.

He said, as per BBC News: “When Jaysley told me what Michael Webber did, it made me sick. He was twice her age, she trusted him and he took advantage of her trust.”

Royal Artillery Gunner Jaysley Beck was found dead in December 2021 (Family Phone/PA)

Royal Artillery Gunner Jaysley Beck was found dead in December 2021 (Family Phone/PA)

“She became quieter, stopped trusting people and it was awful to see that light go out in her,” the grieving father added.

Beck’s mother, Leighann McCready, also addressed the court, as she said: “That assault shattered her faith in the setup that was supposed to look after her.

“I truly believe how it was handled broke something inside her she couldn’t repair.”

Webber has now been sentenced to six months in prison.

Speaking to Webber, Judge Advocate General Alan Large said to him: “At some point in the early hours of July 13, you told Gunner Beck she was beautiful, you put your hand on the back of her head, you leant in to kiss her and you touched her thigh.

“She had the courage and good sense to tell you to stop and told you to go to bed, but you persisted to the extent she considered she wouldn’t be safe from you even if she went back to her own accommodation.”

Leighann issued a statement after Webber admitted guilt last month and said the family were ‘relieved’.

Jaysley Beck was just 19 years old when she died (Family handout)

Jaysley Beck was just 19 years old when she died (Family handout)

“We are relieved that Michael Webber has admitted his guilt and not put us through the trauma of yet more legal proceedings, but nothing can undo the devastating loss of our beautiful daughter Jaysley,” she said.

The heartbroken mom went on: “It’s hard to believe it has taken so long for there to be any accountability for this crime. Jaysley did everything right.

“She reported the assault immediately, not once but twice. First to her captain who dismissed and dissuaded her from going further. And even then, she went over his head and reported it up the chain. But her chain of command still failed her.”

If you’ve been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673), available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org

Featured Image Credit: Family handout

Woman who murdered her two children is kicked out of the courtroom after making mistake during trial

Woman who murdered her two children is kicked out of the courtroom after making mistake during trial

Lori Vallow was warned she could lose the right to represent herself

Lori Vallow’s trial yesterday saw the murderer clash with the judge and removed from the trial after an argument.

Convicted murderer Lori Vallow is currently serving life sentences for the murder of her two children- Tylee Ryan, 16, and Joshua ‘JJ’ Vallow, 7- back in 2003.

She was also sentenced for the planned murder of Tammy Daybell, the first wife of her new husband, Chad Daybell.

The 51-year-old is now on trial for allegedly conspiring to kill her niece’s ex-husband, Brandon Boudreaux.

Vallow is choosing to represent herself and ended up having an argument with judge Justin Beresky in the Phoenix courtroom where the trial is held, having started on Friday June 6.

Boudreaux has claimed that he was shot at from a Jeep as he was driving home in Gilbert, AZ. on Oct. 2, 2019.

Lori was taken out of the courtroom by security upon request by the judge (Idaho Department of Corrections)

Lori was taken out of the courtroom by security upon request by the judge (Idaho Department of Corrections)

Prosecutors have accused Vallow – and her now-deceased brother Alex Cox – of conspiring to kill Boudreaux and specifically that Vallow fired the shot that almost struck the victim’s head.

During the trial on Friday, Vallow had argued for an additional hearing where she could ‘introduce her good character’.

She reportedly said: “Do we get a hearing on what 404b (character evidence) can come in?

“If I opened the door, do I get a hearing do we stop the trial and I get a hearing?”

The judge cut her off to note that there could be a brief hearing if she truly wanted.

Beresky said: “If you are going to introduce how you have great character and good character we will have a short hearing on what evidence they can bring in to rebut that character which could include that you have been convicted of four murders.”

Vallow also accused the judge of yelling at her and argued that she had been polite, sparking an argument between the two.

She said: “You do not need to talk to me like that, I’m being very courteous to you.”

This resulted in the judge snapping at her and asking court security to remove her from the courtoom.

He added: “Take her out, take her out.

The judge cautioned Lori for her actions in court (Court TV)

The judge cautioned Lori for her actions in court (Court TV)

“You have been nothing near courteous to me during the course of these proceedings.”

After the 15 minute recess, the judge also threatened to remove Vallow’s right to represent herself because of her behavior in the courtroom.

He continued: “Ms. Daybell, if you continue to ask lines of questions where I’ve sustained an objection, into areas where I’ve sustained an objection, if you continue to speak over me or the prosecutor … I may be forced to revoke your pro se status.”

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *